Monday, July 13, 2009

Heidelberg Tour


Heidelberg is a city built into the mountains located along the Neckar River. I would recommend anyone in the vicinity to travel to this quaint little town.   There is beautiful landscape, castle ruins, a great little platz (square, piazza, etc.) all within walking distance.  The town also houses a university, so there were tons of young people walking around.  It seemed like such an ideal place to attend college - close enough to a big city, but with the feel of a small college town.
View of the town from the Terrace at the Castle...so cute!!
The town is joined across the river by the Alte Brucke or Old Bridge.  There is a statue on the bridge of a monkey- legend tells you to rub the monkey's nose so you come back to Heidelberg one day, similar to the Trevi fountain in Rome. 

The River Oaks of Heidelberg...very wealthy people.
This is where Steffi Graf grew up.

Schloss (Castle)
Back side of the castle


I joined the tour this morning to Heidelberg.  It was an hour long bus ride out of Frankfurt.  It was great to be with other people who speak English - 3 Aussies and 2 Canadians. Two of the travelers were girls near my age, so we sort of stuck together.  Our tour guide was a little strange...I couldn't tell if he liked that I was the only American on the tour or if he loved Texas or if he just liked me because I was the youngest girl - really just one of those creepy, old men who does no harm but sort of makes you a little weary.  He even gave me a hug when I left - don't think I was able to get a picture of him because I just wanted to get out of there.

1 comment:

  1. Ha...already picking up men...I tell Ben. Heidelberg looks quite wondey!

    ReplyDelete