Sunday, July 12, 2009

EXPLORA Museum


As part of my grant, I am visiting technology museums around Central Europe.  I decided this afternoon would be a great time  to walk to the other side of the city and do just that. 
Upon arrival at the Explora, I was greeted by an overly eager German man who insisted I take 3-D glasses with me around the museum.  The primary exhibits in the museum focused around optical illusion and 3-D technology.  Most of the museum was "art".  There were also quite a few exhibits on sound and the technology used in its development into the music we listen to.  
One of the most interesting parts of the visit was learning about the random fascinations of the German people.  I had read in my Fodor's travel book, that Germans are much less formal when it comes to NUDITY and SEX. As soon as I entered the museum, this was staring me in the face with a 6 foot by 7 foot picture of a woman's breasts....completely weird and made me feel a little uncomfortable because I was on a mini tour with a couple and their 8 year old daughter.  Apparently, I was the only one to take notice.   Another random fascination was Marilyn Monroe.  There must have been 10 (out of only 100) art pieces dedicated to the late actress.  Here are a couple of the pictures I took in the museum.
Piano

Marilyn

Optical Illusion - ME...extra wide

Double Vision - ME

What's on a Man's Mind?...just another example of the informality of sex

The museum was very interactive and had some great "experiments" for people to do which made it appealing to a younger age.  There were not many people in the museum when I visited, and I don't know if that is because it is on the opposite side of the city from all of the other museums or because it was a late Sunday afternoon.  Either way, I am glad I made the trip.

1 comment:

  1. That "Man's Mind" poster is a Freudian thing...our Austrian homeboy. IF we go to the pool here, there will be more breasteses.

    ReplyDelete