Sunday, August 9, 2009

Salzburg is quite salty!

The name Salzburg literally means "Salt Castle".  The name derives from the salt that was mined from the hills near the city and then carried on barges down the Salzach River.  So while I was visiting Salzburg, I thought it would be appropriate to take a Salt Mine Tour.  The tour was very interesting and quite fun - we took a mini train deep into the mountain, we slid down slides to go deeper, and we sailed across an underground lake on a barge.  Many of the pictures I took didn't turn out due to the lack of light inside the caves/mountain, but don't worry I purchased the pictures they take for you!  I will have to get them scanned as soon as I get home. 
the BUS

View from the train we took down into the salt mine

Hot outfit, don't you think?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment